[Bioperl-l] Re: Installing BioPerl under Mac OS X

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 20 17:48:11 EDT 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 6:52 AM, Madeleine Lemieux wrote:

> I used fink to install libwww-pm581 and GD. I then forced the
> installation of the BioPerl bundle using CPAN. This was necessary as
> quite a few of the tests failed but not on things I cared about
> especially. I then downloaded the latest BioPerl release and followed
> the installation instructions. Worked fine.

Madeleine, I am curious why didn't use fink to install bioperl. Version
1.4 has been available for a few months, and is actually part of the
most recent binary release (Fink 0.7.1). Did you get any particular
errors when you tried to install it? I am the fink-maintainer of
bioperl, so if there are any problems please let me know, so I can try
to fix the package.

> I have also installed (following each package's installation
> instructions) wwwBlast (latest OS X version from NCBI), t-coffee (the
> Unix version, not the Mac one), clustalw (the OS X version) and
> EMBOSS.

Just as a note, all three, as well as pTk (804.026) are also availble
through fink.

- Koen.