[Bioperl-l] counting gaps in sequence data

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Fri Oct 15 14:50:38 EDT 2004

Mike-

$gap is the current gap length that you are iterating through with the
second for loop.  Call it 3 for now.  $gaptype{3} then represents the
hash value for the gap of length 3.  We are storing the location of the
current gap (of length 3) hit in that hash value (say for example
$gaptype{3} = 14 where 14 is the location), however there can be more
than one gap of length 3, so we want to do something like $gaptype{3} =
14 and 21 and 65.  In other words we want the value of  $gaptype{3} to
contain several values - an array.  Remember that hash values must be
scalars, but we can reference an array with a scalar and set the hash
value equal to that array reference.   You could put the location values
into an array, @locations =  (14, 21, 65), and then set place a
reference to that array into the hash value like this $gaptype{3} =
\@locaitons, or you could just put an anonymous, unnamed array directly
into the hash value like this $gaptype{3} = [14, 21, 65].  The square
brackets  make that an anonymous array.  Since we don't have all these
values at once, you do the same thing with push.  The terrible looking
@{$gaptype{$gap}} thing dereferences an anonymous array pointed to by
the hash value $gaptype{$gap}.  Push just sees the array behind that
reference and pushes $-[0] + 2 onto that array.  $-[0] is the first
value in the @- array (pg. 667 in your Programming Perl Book).  That
array stores the begining of that last hit found by the last match (2 is
added because $-[0] counts the first position of the string to be
matched as 0 and also returns the position just before the match). A
regex something like this should work /(\A|[atgc])-{$gap}([atgc]|\z)/g.
Although I noticed that it messes up the location of the 3' gap calling
it 2 instead of 1.  Apparently $-[0] returns 0 for both a first and
second position match - go figure.

Barry

--
Barry Moore