[Bioperl-l] Re: [Bioclusters] BioPerl and memory handling

Mike Cariaso cariaso at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 18:03:57 EST 2004

This message is being cross posted from bioclusters to
bioperl. I'd appreciate a clarification from anyone in
bioperl who can speak more authoritatively than my
semi-speculation.

Perl does have a garbage collector. It is not wildly
sophisticated. As you've suggested it uses simple
reference counting. This means that circular
references will cause memory to be held until program
termination.

However I think you are overstating the inefficiency
in the system. While the perl GC *may* not release
memory to the system, it does at least allow memory to
be reused within the process.

If the system instead behaved as you describe, I think
perl would hemorrhage memory and would be unsuitable
for any long running processes.

However I can say with considerable certainty that
that BPLite is able to handle blast reports which
cause SearchIO to thrash. I've attributed this to
BPLite being a true stream processor, while SearchIO
seems to slurp the whole file and object heirarchy
into memory.

I know that SearchIO is the prefered blast parser, but
it seems that BPLite is not quite dead, for the
reasons above. If this is infact the unique benefit of
BPLite, perhaps the documentation should be clearer
about this, as I suspect I'm not the only person to
have had to reengineer a substantial piece of code to
adjust between their different models. Had I known of
this difference early on I would have chosen BPLite.

So, bioperlers (especially Jason Stajich) can you shed
any light on this vestigial bioperl organ?