[Bioperl-l] AnnotationCollectionI and SeqFeatureI changes

Aaron J. Mackey amackey at pcbi.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 29 09:07:31 EST 2004

Yep, OK, I hear you.  I really thought all this was going to be
contained to Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated, but I see now that with all
sorts of implementation happening in the interfaces (ugh!), this can't
happen.  Woe is me.

Here's what I'm willing to do to keep Allen from pulling his hair out:
there have been very few changes on the development trunk since RC1
that aren't Annotated.pm-related; therefore, (if this makes sense to
everyone) I will branch 1.5.0 off of RC1 and merge only those patches
that are Annotated.pm-*unrelated* to the 1.5.0 branch.  I will then tag
the branch at RC2 (and similarly tag the HEAD, so that any later
merging can be done relative to those tags).  Make sense?

Then, the rest of you (Allen, Hilmar, Steffen, etc) need to figure out
the cleanest path for 1.6.0, in which all things may change (with an
eye towards at least some backwards compatibility); my vote would be
that there remain some separation between "heavy" and "light" feature
types.  I don't expect/need my Bio::SeqFeature::Simple to implement
AnnotationCollection!

Thanks again to everyone; let me know if the CVS plan above sounds
reasonable ...

-Aaron

--
Aaron J. Mackey, Ph.D.
Dept. of Biology, Goddard 212
University of Pennsylvania       email:  amackey at pcbi.upenn.edu
415 S. University Avenue         office: 215-898-1205
Philadelphia, PA  19104-6017     fax:    215-746-6697