[Bioperl-l] Blast return codes (fwd)

Matthew Laird lairdm at sfu.ca
Tue Nov 23 13:26:50 EST 2004

About a year ago I raised a question about bioperl (standaloneblast)
throwing an error claiming Blast was dying with a return code of -1.
After a bit of back and forth which I hope is readable in the thread
below, we never really found an answer....

Looking through the bioperl list archives I find another reference to this
error in July
(http://bioperl.org/pipermail/bioperl-l/2004-July/016330.html), makes me
feel better that I'm not alone in this problem.

Anyhow, to this date the only solution we've found to this problem is in
the install documentation for our package, instructing users to comment
out the line in bioperl that checks the return code from blastall, as that
Blast actually runs fine and returns a result, perl is just getting this
odd return code.

We've checked on a few platforms and see it consistantly on Solaris (both
SPARC & x86), OS X, and some linux distributions.  Actually, with linux
even two different machines with the same distribution, one can have the
problem, the other might not.

Is there any know reason and solution for this issue?  Any assistance
would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks.