[Bioperl-l] RE: Integrating caBIOperl with BIOperl

Steve Chervitz sac at portal.open-bio.org
Thu Nov 4 17:17:23 EST 2004

Sorry for the cryptic message. Somehow it got sent prematurely (pesky
Entourage).

I definitely favor the bridge plan rather than direct assimilation into
Bioperl. My comments pertained to Peter's mention of MAGE-OM:

>>> In the next major caBIOperl release (~March 2005) we are going to include a
>>> full implementation of the MAGE-OM microarray data standard as part of the
>>> caBIOperl API

Sounds great. MAGE-OM/ML has been lacking a tie-in to Bioperl (and vice
versa) for some time. Looks like caBIOperl could provide this link. I'm
curious if the caBIO implementation will make use of any of the MAGEstk perl
work: http://mged.sourceforge.net/software/MAGEstk.php  (e.g., object
generators, parsers, writers).

There's a bioperl CVS repository called "bioperl-microarray" that would be a
good location for any MAGE-specific caBIOperl bridge modules. However, a
more generic bridge module should go into bioperl-live (where, perhaps
Bio::Tools?).

Steve