[Bioperl-l] ontology help

Marc Logghe Marc.Logghe at devgen.com
Sun Jun 27 10:08:57 EDT 2004

> I believe the current implementation of delegation from the
> Bio::Ontology::Ontology methods to their counterparts in the
> currently
> used engine implementation expects that only terms and rel.ships from
> the same ontology will be asked for.
>
> The original rationale behind this was to make it possible to use one
> and the same engine instance to back multiple OntologyI instances. If
> you did this, you would need to filter out terms from other
> ontologies
> co-using the engine instance.
>
> At hindsight I think this is probably over-engineered and trying to
> solve a non-existing problem. So, we could as well demand that one
> engine instance only serve one ontology instance and you're
> on your own
> if you do otherwise. This would then allow us to remove the
> post-filtering code that filters hits returned from the engine.
>
> You could try and see whether that will solve your problem as well.
Solved.
Thanks a lot for the help, Hilmar !!!!
At first, I indeed always used a separate engine. Taking your advice, a created a Bio::Ontology::Ontology first for the first ontology and reused that engine for the other two ontologies. And that did the trick !!!
Regards,
Marc

Marc Logghe, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist