[Bioperl-l] seqboot and random seeds

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Mon Jun 14 08:28:37 EDT 2004

We  use a different random seed each time
look at the code in
Bio::Tools::Run::Phylo::Phylip::SeqBoot

the _run subroutine is where all the action happens.

 # odd random seed
 my $rand = (2 * int(rand(10000)) + 1);

You can experiment by just hardoding it to something odd like 7 and
perhaps only generating a few replicates to see that you get the same
consensus tree each time.

You might also try and wait a little while before expecting an answer to
your questions as you posted the first question on Sunday and most people
have not had time to read or respond to the mail or try and replicate the
problem.  Shawn Hoon will hopefully have a chance to try things out as
well this week and get back to you if/why things aren't working how you
expect.

-jason