[Bioperl-l] Getting chromosome from GenPept?

Leo, Paul (NIH/NHGRI) pleo at mail.nih.gov
Tue Jul 27 13:58:25 EDT 2004

Hi
I have a bunch of proteins denoted by their gi number from a Mass Spect.
Expt. which I want to organize. I get the protein "details" from
Bio::DB::GenPept using the GI number (want to find Gene names and other
properties  etc ... ).

I also want the chromosome if it is available. I usually get these from
"primary_tag='source'  tag='chromosome' in the sequence object but this is
not always present eg

Gi= 23272966  has no chromosome info  (see
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=protein
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=protein&val=23272966>
&val=23272966)

But if I following the link through the LocusID (CDS primary tag) to
LocusLink ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/LocusLink/LocRpt.cgi?l=11947
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/LocusLink/LocRpt.cgi?l=11947>  )

I find that it is chromosome 10....

What is the "Bio-Perl" way to get this info??? Otherwise I was just going to
get the $LocusID from the $seq object and get the page
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/LocusLink/LocRpt.cgi?l=$LocusID
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/LocusLink/LocRpt.cgi?l=$LocusID>  ... strip the
HTML and then get the chromosome.

Is there a more sexy way to do this?