[Bioperl-l] Blast Output and frac_aligned_query

Aaron J. Mackey amackey at pcbi.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 19 10:07:35 EDT 2004

BLAST is a great search algorithm, but a pretty poor pairwise alignment
algorithm (i.e. bl2seq).  Why not use Smith-Waterman (and/or LALIGN, if
you're interested in repeats) if you want to get a "believable"
alignment with which to do further analysis?

HSP tiling is a process for stringing together incomplete alignments;
no matter how you do it, you're never guaranteed to get the "right"
answer.  So why worry about doing it better, when you shouldn't be
doing it at all?

-Aaron

--
Aaron J. Mackey, Ph.D.
Dept. of Biology, Goddard 212
University of Pennsylvania       email:  amackey at pcbi.upenn.edu
415 S. University Avenue         office: 215-898-1205
Philadelphia, PA  19104-6017     fax:    215-746-6697