[Bioperl-l] Re: [Bioperl-guts-l] bioperl commit

Lincoln Stein lstein at cshl.edu
Wed Jul 14 16:17:45 EDT 2004

I like the idea of the toggle, but we don't use the term "toggle"
anywhere in bioperl right now.  How about "allow" as in:

	$gffio->allow_features_attached_to_seqs(1)

It won't be used more than once per script, so not much overhead in
having a long name.

Lincoln

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 10:37 am, Aaron J. Mackey wrote:

> >> Again, $gffio->attach_features(1) seems sufficient ...
> >
> > OK; although one might be led to expect that the argument for a
> > method with that name would be a list of SeqFeatures. Is the BP
> > method name syntax enshrined anywhere, or is it more a general
> > set of principles shared by the authors?
>
> You're right.  No, there is no shrine, I think it's like the
> difference between art and pornography; we know it when we see it.
> Perhaps "$gffio->features_attached_to_seqs(1)" is the
> necessarily-long-but-best answer?
>
> > So perhaps I should reeingineer it a bit so that it rejects
> > anything that
> > doesn't follow the spec. This makes it easier to use the FASTA
> > parser.
>
> I think that'd be great, and should simplify matters a bit.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -Aaron

Lincoln D. Stein
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory