[Bioperl-l] Controlling glyph position with Bio::Graphics::Panel

Donald G. Jackson donald.jackson at bms.com
Mon Jan 5 08:45:26 EST 2004

Hi Lincoln,

I'm not sure if that's what I want or not, because I'm not exactly sure
what a glyph is ;).

I give Bio::Graphics::Glyph::segments  a listref of all the HSPs for a
BLAST hit and have it draw out the individual HSPs with a connector
(I've attached an example image from my current script).  Multiple HSPs
for the same hit are connected by dashed lines;  in other cases there
are hsps from different hits close to each other - most users would
think these were also from the same hit.

If the set of connected HSPs is a single  glyph, then it sounds like
your old code would do the trick.  If each individual HSP is a glyph
then that wouldn't work.  If it's easy to dig out an older version of
the code with the -bump=>2 option I'd like to give it a try and see what
happens.

I agree that most of the time the bump=>1 behavior makes the most sense,
but for search results I think it's confusing - the 1 track = 1 hit is
easier for people to keep straight.

Thanks very much for your help!

Don Jackson