GO identifiers being mis-parsed? Was Re: [Bioperl-l] Building biosql database errors

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Tue Feb 10 18:21:58 EST 2004

I thank Andreas for pointing out the obvious and the email list points this
out as an ongoing problem, solved for the meantime by installing GO with
--nodelete.  However, there was another set of errors that remained after
fixing this and seemingly related to terms such as:

UM-BBD-pathwayID:van

When I changed the ':' to '-' globally in the GO flat files, I got rid of
the exceptions (Any ideas?).  I continued to have issues with installing,
though, in that the name column often contains the GO:xxxxxxx number rather
than the name.  I assume that the identifier column is supposed to contain
the GO:xxxxxxx numbers, instead.  It seems that any values in the flat file
that contain a ':' are being treated as GO identifiers, as when I change all
things like "metacyc:xxxx" or "EC:xxxx" to use '-' instead of ':', the
output is as expected.  I don't know enough about methods code to find where
that parsing occurs, but just wanted to bring it up as an issue for me.  Is
this a problem specific to me or have others found similar issues?

I am using bioperl-1.4 with bioperl-db installed from cvs this morning on
macos 10.3.2.

Sean