[Bioperl-l] Remote BLAST returning lots of 500 time out errors

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Mon Feb 9 09:44:39 EST 2004

Richard-

Thanks much for the help, and the solution.  I use this program to help
look for trans-frame proteins - that is proteins that require a
frameshift for expression.  With that in mind, this program BLASTs the
translation of every ORF, and plots that ORF in shades of yellow
(representing it's e-value) on a 3 frame plot of the transcript.  It may
be that blastx would work, and I could just map the location of
significant HSPs onto my plot.  When I started working on the program I
tried translating the entire transcript (stops and all) in 3 frames, and
BLASTing the 3 frames.  I noticed that I wouldn't get HSPs to some small
ORFs that I could get by BLASTing those ORFs individually.  Because of
that and because at the time it seemed simpler to keep track of and plot
the results if each ORF was handled separately, I went that way.  In
retrospect now that I've seen how long it can take to BLAST 26 small
ORFs I think it would be a good idea to go back and check more carefully
if I can achieve the same results with blastx.  It may be that by
tweaking the parameters to BLAST, I can see hits to all the small ORFs
on the transcript.  Thanks again for your help, and for the suggestions.

Barry