[Bioperl-l] AnnotationCollectionI and SeqFeatureI changes

Nathan Haigh nathanhaigh at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 03:35:38 EST 2004

I'm on WinXP and as far as I remember (or don't remember as the case is), I suspect I mustn't have had too bad a time installing
them! However I can test this out on a clean Win98 (virtual machine) installation more or less immediately and if required on a
clean WinXP installation (a bit more hassle and time required for me to do this as I'll have to install WinXP in a virtual machine).
If all goes smoothly, or has some funny quirks etc, I could write a quick installation guide for BioPerlers if that's any use!

The only possible problem I can see for the moment is that of the XML::Parser. I'm not sure what version is installed with
ActiveState, but if BioPerl requires a later version of this module, it can be a bit of a swine to install if you only use ppm. The
problem is this: if someone tries to update XML-Parser or Compress-Zlib (the latter not used by BioPerl so shouldn't be a problem)
using ppm from ActiveState Perl on Win95 and Win98, it will do one of two things: 1) either will not update those modules at all; or
2) will try to update those modules and fail part way through and screw up those modules! The latter being the worst that can happen
since ppm requires these two modules to function. After this happened with me, I had to do a reinstall of Perl and all the Perl
modules I had. See http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePerl/PPM/ for a few details.

I think all the following XML modules are available as ppd files for ppm installs on windows, as I included them in a possible
BioPerlv1.5 ppd file:
        XML-DOM
        XML-DOM-XPath
        XML-Node
        XML-Parser
        XML-SAX
        XML-SAX-Base
        XML-SAX-Writer
        XML-Twig
        XML-Writer

I'll have a run though on the Win98 system over the next day or two and let you know how I get on!

BTW, has the problem with the quote line in the BEGIN subs of BioPerl 1.5.0-RC1 been fixed? Or should I just use the latest CVS
BioPerl?

Nathan