[Bioperl-l] Comparing DB_FILE and SDBM

Josh Lauricha laurichj at bioinfo.ucr.edu
Fri Aug 13 14:11:26 EDT 2004

On Fri 08/13/04 13:59, Jason Stajich wrote:
> If you run top when you are doing the indexing are you seeing mostly perl
> CPU or system CPU - is it disk I/O that is killing you or is it running
> full tilt in perl?

I forgot to mention this in my previous mail, but going by his `time`
output, I'm pretty sure the delay is not due to the perl stuff. There
was only a few minutes of CPU time used, but quite a bit of time from
start to finush. That leads me to think its a slow disk (or lotsa data,
depending on your viewpoint), or the same wierdness I got with XML::SAX.

| Josh Lauricha            | Ford, you're turning    |
| laurichj at bioinfo.ucr.edu | into a penguin. Stop    |
| Bioinformatics, UCR      | it                      |
| OpenPG:                                            |
|  4E7D 0FC0 DB6C E91D 4D7B C7F3 9BE9 8740 E4DC 6184 |