[Bioperl-l] RNA fold

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Sun Aug 1 22:29:36 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:42:15AM -0500, Chris Fields wrote:
> >The licensing for mfold is restrictive in that it cannot be
> >re-distributed freely.
>
> Somewhat true.  Basically, you need to agree to a license when using
> the software (like most software, even freeware).

 AFAIK, you actually don't need to agree to a license to use Free software
(e.g. GPL or BSD license).  I think the way it works is this: If you don't
accept the license, then you have your default rights under copyright law.
Free software, doesn't make you agree to a license to download or install
it, just like other copyrighted works, like web pages.  You can read the web
page, or run the program, without having to agree to anything.

 If you want to do something that you can't do by default under copyright
law, such as modify or redistribute the work, you need a license.  You get
to do what the license says you can, as long as you agree to its terms.

 Sorry I don't have anything to add to the discussion, but I'm more of a
sysadmin than a biologist or bioperl hacker, and I just subscribed to make a
bugreport... (stay tuned :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)