[Bioperl-l] Mapping between aligment position and reference (1st) sequence position for MAF files

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Wed Apr 21 13:22:41 EDT 2004

If I understand your question correctly...

I've added a method to Bio::Coordinate::Utils for getting the alignment
position (column) for a specific position in the reference sequence.  It
is called from_seq_to_alignmentpos().

If you want to get the reverse - a reference position from the alignment
you should just be able to do:
my $seq = $aln->get_seq_by_pos(1);
my $ref_loc = $se->location_from_column($column);

# see what that position is:
print $ref_loc->to_FTstring(),"\n";

-jason