[Bioperl-l] Programming, Algorithms, and Gusfield

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Apr 9 18:52:55 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm a programmer with a degree in biochem (much better at programming than
I ever was at chemistry though:). I was reading Gusfield's String, Trees
and Sequences and wanted to explore some of the edit distance algorithms
and refinements in chapter 12. Can someone tell me a good mailing list or
USENET group for topics like that?

Specifically I'm looking for people's opinions about the best algorithms
to implement for a general purpose alignment and edit distance
calculations. Stuff that's good for compression, sequence analysis,
replication of disk blocks across a network, ...whatever.

Thanks,
Mike