[Bioperl-l] matching miRNAs to one or a lot of mRNAs

Ian Korf ik1 at sanger.ac.uk
Sat Sep 27 06:45:44 EDT 2003

The human HES1 8400709 is not the sequence from the paper I don't
think. If you align the sequence in figure 1a against 8400709, you'll
find they don't match. There are other HES1 sequences in GenBank
though, for example, 1655593, that contain the sequence in the figure.
But if you try aligning the miRNA to 1655593 with NCBI-BLAST, you won't
find anything.

If you do a S-W alignment (match +1, mismatch -1, gap -2) of the miRNA
complement against 1655593 you get the following, which is the same
alignment reported in the paper.

Stats: score=12
Alignment: Q:855..874 S:1..21 17/3 1,0
Q: TGGAACTCACTGG-AAAGTGA
    ||||| || |||| || ||||
S: TGGAAATCCCTGGAAATGTGA

You'll note that the largest ungapped alilgnment is 5nt. The authors
did not say they used BLAST, only that they searched GenBank. 5nt is
too short for NCBI-BLAST, which has a minimum word size of 7. WU-BLAST
has no limit of word size, and you can find the alignment with
WU-BLAST. Same scoring system as above used here but note that E2 had
to be raised to at least 11 or the alignment would get pruned before
subjected to gapped statistics. Here it is:

  Score = 12 (17.3 bits), Expect = 0.037, P = 0.037
  Identities = 17/21 (80%), Positives = 17/21 (80%), Strand = Plus / Plus

Query:   855 TGGAACTCACTGGAAA-GTGA 874
              ||||| || |||| || ||||
Sbjct:     1 TGGAAATCCCTGGCAATGTGA 21

If you make a habit of such searches, don't be surprised if you run in
to a lot of false-positives. I think you might want to use additional
criteria such as overlapping the stop or located in the 3'UTR. I'm not
aware of any software specifically designed for such searches, but
perhaps the authors of the paper have one. The paper was very brief and
had no description of the bioinformatics in the methods section (if I
was one of the referees, I would have found this unacceptable). I
suggest you contact the authors and find out specifically what they did.

-Ian