[Bioperl-l] Help with Bio::DB::Query::GenBank

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Sep 9 08:36:03 EDT 2003

Hi

I am having various problems with Bio::DB::Query::GenBank.

I have just downloaded Bioperl 1.2.2 from the website.

First of all the example gives me errors.  If i use the query string 'Oryza[Oragnism]', i get an error message stating that "<FieldNotFound>Organism</FieldNotFound>".  However, it does return a nice count of 5879 records.  Only if I search NCBI using the web, Oryza[Organism] actuallu returns 525828 records - quite significantly more than the 5879 that Bio::DB::Query::GenBank returns!

What I am really trying to do is to get all the Gallus gallus genome sequences out and downloaded onto my server.  I was hoping to do this using Bioperl, but using "Gallus" as the query string returns 2421 using Bioperl and nearly 600,000 using Entrez....

Can anyone please enlighten me??

Thanks

Mick