[Bioperl-l] comparing two seq

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 10:49:11 EDT 2003

Vesko,

Perl is really not language to write CPU intensive applications, so the
only sequence comparison implementations we have in bioperl are written
in C and are not part of the standard distribution. Look for bioperl-ext
cvs module.

What we try to do is to have perl wrappers for other programs. Check
e.g.the EMBOSS suite at http://www.emboss.org/. The best program we have
a wrapper for for rna/dna alignments is Sim4. The wrappers are all in
the separate run module in cvs or tar file:
http://www.bioperl.org/DIST/current_run_stable.tar.gz

Sim4 can be tricky to compile so check if there is a binary for your
platform. For example,  I've seen an RPM file for Mandrake Linux.

	-Heikki