[Bioperl-l] Phylip format for phylogeny

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Sun Oct 19 19:56:54 EDT 2003

You'd need to write something that would determine where the cutoffs of
your sub-alignment need to be if you are talking about a contiguous slice
of the alignment you want to preserve.

I have something I wrote a long time ago which basically walked out from
the start and end of the alignment and identify the part I want to
include.  This might be something like setting a cutoff % of sequences in
a column which are gapped and then finding either a single or multiple
regions which were of a minimum length and met the gap restriction cutoff.
This seemed to work for my needs - it reduced some of the noise for later
analyses but it definitely an alg that needs tweaking for a specific
question.

Anyways, you can get a slice of contiguous columns with
$aln->slice($start,$end)

There are also cmds to get non-contiguous columns but I'm not sure if that
is what you want.

-jason

--
Jason Stajich