[Bioperl-l] Philosophy, BioPerl Object Creation [was Query Unigene title from input a ACC number]

Jamie Hatfield (AGCoL) jamie at genome.arizona.edu
Tue Mar 25 11:40:25 EST 2003

Right...  One parser, but many, many other object that are created
(new'ed).  That is the new that is taking so much time.

> My feeling is people can criticize the project all they want, just be
> willing to step to the plate and lead an effort to improve things (and
> still maintain our attempt at quality stable releases).  If you just
stand
> from afar and criticize you aren't really helping since most of us
already
> have quite full plates and Bioperl mostly just a free-time sort of
thing.

I do try to answer questions when they apply to areas that I use Bioperl
for.  I have also successfully encouraged (to my boss) the development
of a Bioperl module "on the clock" that I hope will be really useful to
others.  At least, I got 4 or 5 responses to my initial email about the
FPC module to think so.

I will really try not to stand from afar and criticize.  :-)

> In case you are wondering, nothing too magical about the core devs -
we're
> just folks who have agreed to invest a fair amount of our time in
making
> sure the development effort is coordinated, releases code that meets a
> certain threshhold of testing, only breaks backwards compatability
when it
> is appropriate, has at least a minimum of documentation, and tries to
> establish a coherent design philosophy.

I realize you'all aren't magical, but you (all) do have seniority around
here, and I like to poll seniority when possible as opposed to gaining
all my knowledge The Hard Way.

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a move to attempt to get Bioperl
funded so that it's not just a "free-time sort of thing"?  This might be
a hairbrained idea, or not even possible, which is why I put it at the
end (maybe not everyone will read this far down the message...)