[Bioperl-l] Re: BioPerl GFF scripts

Lincoln Stein lstein at cshl.org
Wed Mar 19 23:09:26 EST 2003

Hi Marc,

Apparently the bioperl build process still doesn't install the scripts (any of
them) but leaves them in the build directory.  You will have to copy them
manually from scripts/Bio-DB-GFF into /usr/local/bin.  This will be fixed in
the next release.

I will add a note about fast_load_gff.pl to the perldoc.  I'm still not sure
whether it is fully general  -- it uses a lot of pipe tricks that might only
work with certain Unix flavors.

the load_gff.pl script will actually work with any Bio::DB::GFF adaptor; you
specify the adaptor with --adaptor.  The bulk and fast loaders invoke the
mysql interactie shell directly -- that's why they're fast.  If you want to
use biosql, then you should use the biosql loader application.  Gbrowse will
run on top of biosql, but the biosql API is completely different from
Bio::DB::GFF.

If you're interested in doing the Postgres port of Bio::DB::GFF I will gladly
offer you assistance and accolades.

Lincoln