[Bioperl-l] problem unigene parsing

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Mar 6 00:20:40 EST 2003

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 06:31  PM, Siddhartha Basu wrote:

> Hi andrew,
> Yes you got the problem it seems. Well i really can't say anything in
> depth about the code but can point out the fact it's not really
> happening with the C.elegans unigene build file.

The reason is C.elegans wasn't in the species abbreviation map table. I
updated the table to match the present NCBI repository and migrated the
fix to the branch too.

> And the lines contain the species name in Unigene files is the PROTSIM
> segment.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think this is a given for every entry.

> So there also seems to be problem with the bleeding edge version of
> bioperl. I haven't tried the stable 1.2 version for this parsing, only
> used it from the bioperl-live cvs. And moreover, by seeing the pod of
> Bio::Species i think  somehow the species->classification method call
> getting the name "Home sapiens" from the unigene object instead of
> "sapiens Homo" which it expect and might be generating the error. Just
> a guess though.

If you inspect the message you see that it does get the array in the
right order.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org