[Bioperl-l] Bio::Ontology & Bio::OntologyIO

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue Mar 4 02:18:50 EST 2003

I've committed a series of further fixes and standardization to the
Bioperl ontology modules. My feeling is they are now ready for prime
time use. Everyone who is interested in using ontologies in bioperl can
start toying around with them - ideally within the next days to help
smooth out the sharp edges before it gets back-ported over to the 1.2.x
branch. Checkout Bio::Ontology::Ontology[I], Bio::Ontology::Term[I],
Bio::Ontology::Relationship[I], and Bio::OntologyIO.

What is still missing is

	- a SO parser (but now the GO parser should be SO-ready, so that a SO
parser supposedly can be created with minimal effort from it)
	- generalizing to the base Ontology::Term implementation a number of
properties the Ontology::GOterm class adds, such that eventually
Ontology::GOterm becomes a very thin derivation of Term (that either
covers SOterm, too, or can be copied with minimal modifications to
obtain the SOterm class)

I'll address both within the next days.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org