[Bioperl-l] introducing news.open-bio.org and new Bioperl news system

Peter Masiar peter.masiar at yale.edu
Sun Mar 2 19:16:23 EST 2003

Quoting Chris Dagdigian <dag at sonsorol.org>:

> Hi folks,
>
> As the first step in figuring out what the heck we are going to do to
> make our websites more up to date and useful we've rolled out a system
> that allows anyone to add news items that will automatically get
> published to multiple Open-Bio affiliated websites.
>
> I think the new system is pretty cool; it is based off of standard
> 'blog' software from www.movabletype.org and allows us to do things we
> could not do before like:
>
> o anyone can post news
> o news from all OBF projects is aggregated in a central place
> o we can feed customized news data directly into our standalone project
> websites
> o we can view news from multiple projects and efforts in one page

There is another way to do it: use a wiki.
Twiki.org is a mature perl-based GPL wiki clone, and a year ago they added
RSS feeds, see http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/TWikiSyndication
I am not an expert, RSS feeds might be something else. ;-)

But we use Twiki daily and it's easy to contribute and fix docs.

---

Peter Masiar