[Bioperl-l] BioPAN

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jun 20 14:03:46 EDT 2003

Nat,

BioPan! Great idea! You'll get all the support you need from me.

First to do is to check the feasibility of having our own CPAN server
copy. I'd like to know how closely it is married to the PAUSE
database/codebase and from there to CVS. If CPAN/PAUSE works I suppose
it would make sense to start using the CPAN bugtracking system,
http://rt.cpan.org/ ? Could you do that initial evaluation and report
back?

CPAN client perl module is to be replaced by CPANPLUS which should be
easier to modify and extend, so better not touch CPAN.
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/30/cpants.html
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/26/cpanplus.html

Also, ExtUtils::MakeMaker based makefiles are quite difficult to
maintain and we should try to  start using Module::Build.
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/02/12/module1.html

	-Heikki