[Bioperl-l] Re: [Bioperl-announce-l] an extension to Bio::SeqIO

Chris Mungall cjm at fruitfly.org
Tue Jun 17 21:04:49 EDT 2003

Hi Jason

I agree the chadoxml writer should be kept fairly dumb

Here's how I think things should work:

genbank -> unflatten -> GeneStructure objects
OR
genbank -> unflatten -> map types to SO -> chadoxml

(I think this is pretty much exactly the same as what you are proposing)

thus the chadoxml part would not depend on the GeneStructure objects; but
the same 'unflatten' component could be used for both GeneStructure
objects, chadoxml, GFF3 etc.

the good news is i have written the unflatten component. it is tentatively
called Bio::Tools::GenBankCollector

(not sure about the name - really it should be GenBankEMBLDDBJCollector??)

the task of this module is relatively simple; it takes a flat list of
features like this:

  gene
  mRNA CG4491-RA
  CDS CG4491-PA
  gene
  tRNA tRNA-Pro
  gene
  mRNA CG32954-RA
  mRNA CG32954-RC
  mRNA CG32954-RB
  CDS CG32954-PA
  CDS CG32954-PB
  CDS CG32954-PC

and turns them into this:

  gene
    mRNA CG4491-RA
      CDS CG4491-PA
  gene
    tRNA tRNA-Pro
  gene
    mRNA CG32954-RA
      CDS CG32954-PA
    mRNA CG32954-RC
      CDS CG32954-PC
    mRNA CG32954-RB
      CDS CG32954-PB

Of course, as anyone who has attempted to get gene models out of genbank
records knows, it's a wee bit harder than this.

full details in the pod docs, which i am about to send out to the bioperl
list...