[Bioperl-l] Global version number for all bioperl modules

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jun 6 16:13:21 EDT 2003

Aaron,

I understand now. I think the chances of version getting called multiple
times or in wrong places are quite remote, so the current setup should
be fine.

As for the 'modules.pl --version', your syntactic fixes helped me to
call 'use'& $VERSION in an external perl process using the perl system
function. Incidentally, the code turned out to be very good in spotting
untested minor bugs in modules.

	-Heikki

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 17:25, Aaron J Mackey wrote:
> On 4 Jun 2003, Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:
>
> > 4. maintenance/modules.pl has a new option --version which should
> >    test all core modules for version number but the code sometimes
> >    returns the correct number and sometimes, not even when it can
> >    be accessed from command line.  Could someone help please!
>
> This is a known limitation with how Bio::Root::Version works; it depends
> on the import() routine getting called.  At the command line, when you
> load Bio::Root::HTTPget, it loads Bio::Root::Root, which loads
> Bio::Root:Version and everything works.  But in your modules.pl script,
> Bio::Root::Root has already been loaded previously, so
> Bio::Root::Version's import() script doesn't get called, so HTTPget's
> VERSION doesn't get set.
>
> The robust solution is to force all modules to "use Bio::Root::Version"
> directly (adding that to Bio::Root::Xref, for instance, solves your
> modules.pl problem).
>
> Another solution is to provide Bio::Root::Root with its own
> custom import() method that chains along to Bio::Root::Verson; however,
> this is just passing the buck - two modules that use a common base module
> that itself uses Bio::Root::Root will not both get versioned, only one
> (because the second time the common base was use'd, Root's import wouldn't
> get called).
>
> -Aaron
     _/  _/  _/  Heikki Lehvaslaiho    heikki_at_ebi ac uk