[Bioperl-l] Errors generated from example code in HOW-TO section

Wes Barris wes.barris at csiro.au
Thu Jul 31 23:16:37 EDT 2003

The HOW-TO section http://www.bioperl.org/HOWTOs/html/Graphics-HOWTO.html
shows examples using this code fragment:

while( my $hit = $result->next_hit ) {
   next unless $hit->significance < 1.0;
   my $feature = Bio::SeqFeature::Generic->new(-score   => $hit->raw_score,
                                               -seq_id => $hit->name,

If warnings are turned on, then the 2nd line above produces these errors:

Argument "e-171" isn't numeric in numeric lt (<) at blasttoimg.pl line 49, <DATA> line 191.
Argument "e-163" isn't numeric in numeric lt (<) at blasttoimg.pl line 49, <DATA> line 191.
Argument "e-160" isn't numeric in numeric lt (<) at blasttoimg.pl line 49, <DATA> line 191.
Argument "e-160" isn't numeric in numeric lt (<) at blasttoimg.pl line 49, <DATA> line 191.
Argument "e-160" isn't numeric in numeric lt (<) at blasttoimg.pl line 49, <DATA> line 191.

I would suggest that when parsing a blast file, if the evalue does not
begin with a digit, a '1' (one) should be placed at the beginning of the
reported evalue.

--
Wes Barris
E-Mail: Wes.Barris at csiro.au