[Bioperl-l] seq features with locations on remote entries?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Jul 5 15:24:52 EDT 2003

All locations have a property $loc->is_remote(). The property
$loc->seq_id() gives what ultimately is supposed to serve as a URI or
LSID, but probably in most cases in just going to be the accession
number, possibly in accession.version notation.

Quoted from the POD in Bio::LocationI:

        is_remote

         Title   : is_remote
         Usage   : $is_remote_loc = $loc->is_remote()
         Function: Whether or not a location is a remote location.

                   A location is said to be remote if it is on a
different
                   'object' than the object which 'has' this
                   location. Typically, features on a sequence will
sometimes
                   have a remote location, which means that the location
of
                   the feature is on a different sequence than the one
that is
                   attached to the feature. In such a case, $loc->seq_id
will
                   be different from $feat->seq_id (usually they will be
the
                   same).

                   While this may sound weird, it reflects the location
of the
                   kind of AB18375:450-900 which can be found in
GenBank/EMBL
                   feature tables.

hth,

	-hilmar