[Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::GFF trouble + Blast question

Venky Nandagopal venky at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jul 3 02:43:57 EDT 2003

Hi,

I have a couple of problems: (1) I use a database created using
process_gadfly.pl to access the D.mel genome, via Bio::DB::GFF. I have a
utility script that returns the sequence of a gene given the CG number,
using 	@genes = get_feature_by_name(CG####); 	print $genes[0]->seq;
This script seems to work fine for most CG numbers, except for CG6667,
which is the ID for the dorsal gene. For some reason, no sequence is
returned by the seq() method. The gene object is not undefined though,
since $genes[0]->asString returns "gene:gadfly(CG6667)"; similarly the
start, end, strand methods work fine. I have tried getting transcripts
instead of the gene etc etc, but CG6667 refuses to yield any sequence. Can
anyone provide an explanation for this?

(2) This is not directly connect to Bioperl, but BLAST reports sometimes
provide Expect values in the form "Expect(3)=0.0". What does the 3 refer
to? Sometimes it says "Expect(7+)=1e-23".

Thanks
Venky