[Bioperl-l] Can't connect to www.ncbi.nih.gov:80 (Bad hostname'www.ncbi.nih.gov')

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Mon Jan 20 14:00:43 EST 2003

Actually that IP should have been okay.

bioperl 1.2 uses the same URL so the upgrade won't get you that (although
the upgrade will get you access to more Entrez features).

I'll change things back to the full IP just in case but I think the
problem relates to the ftp server (ftp.ncbi.nih.gov) not responding which
maybe was relaying port 80 requests to the webserver.

You can workaround the problem by using the following to change the base
URL for the requests until things resolve themselves.

use Bio::DB::GenBank;
use Bio::DB::NCBIHelper;

$Bio::DB::NCBIHelper::HOSTBASE = 'http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov';

my $db= new Bio::DB::GenBank();

---
I think there was confusion because NCBI requested that FTP traffic be
addressed ftp.ncbi.nih.gov that the whole domain was moving up.

For the record, the following works for me and all the tests worked fine
for me on 1.2 which used that addr.

jason@babelfish $ telnet www.ncbi.nih.gov 80
Trying 130.14.29.110...
Connected to www.ncbi.nih.gov.