[Bioperl-l] ActiveState Perl 5.8 and Bioperl

Chris Fields cjfields@uiuc.edu
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:33:17 -0600

To whom it may concern (Jason?),

I found out that PPM modules for Activestate Perl 5.6 do not work for the
newly released Activestate Perl 5.8 (all binaries compiled for 5.6 have to
be recompiled for 5.8).  I know that ActiveState has a separate site for
newly compiled PPM3 modules.  Is there a version of Bioperl 1.2 for Perl
5.8?  I could compile it from scratch (compile using Visual C++, which I
think uses nmake).  I didn't have this problem with Bioperl 1.02, though,
which seemed to install fine.

I would volunteer for the Windows Bioperl work, but I am still in the
learning stages (i.e. reading and working out problems from the O'Reilly
books and Damian Conway's Obj. Oriented Perl).  I'm a molecular
microbiologist by trade (with a little dabbling in biochemistry) and I
think that someone more experienced in ActiveState Perl would do a better
job.  I would definitely be interested in contributing code at some later
point, maybe for RNA secondary structure analysis or basic amino acid analysis.

Thanks,

Chris Fields
Post-Doctoral Fellow
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign