[Bioperl-l] dbSNP, dbEST fetch by dbSNp, dbEST ID's??

Wiepert, Mathieu Wiepert.Mathieu@mayo.edu
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 07:01:50 -0600

Hi,

Does dbfetch work with dbest_id's, and dbSNP id's?  I wanted to be able to pull sequences for those db's using the dbfetch module and giving the dbEST_id or SNP_id, wasn't sure if that was possible...?  Is there a driver for entrez dbSNP?  Otherwise, it looks like I have to use entrez where possible and then parse the HTML, or am I way off-base?  I found it interesting that at genbank you can't get something by dbEST_id (not a primary id), so you need the cross reference GI or accession number.  I don't have at the time I am needing the data (has to do with a local tool that does a query, and then creates a dot-plot of EST-hits.  That tool, which I don't own, only gives dbEST_id's).

Any suggestions would be great, thanks,

-Mat