[Bioperl-l] Help with Makefile.PL

simon andrews (BI) simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Feb 19 10:48:39 EST 2003

Oh but you do! It is your perl version which is the problem.  There have been a lot of changes to perl since 5.003 (7 years worth of changes!) and you really should update it (at least to 5.6.1).  Bioperl is only designed to work with perls >= 5.004.

The particular error you are seeing is caused because that line uses syntax which wasn't valid in 5.003.  The fix for that immediate problem would be to change:

	foreach my $file (@files)...

	my $file;
	foreach $file (@files)...

...but the install is almost certainly going to fall over somewhere else.  The require 5.004 is there for a good reason!

Hope this helps

Simon.

--
Simon Andrews PhD