[Bioperl-l] Help with Makefile.PL

Turner, Geoff Geoff.Turner at astrazeneca.com
Wed Feb 19 10:05:46 EST 2003

Hi,

I am a Unix sys admin who has been asked to install Bioperl 1.2 on one of
our unix servers.
The server is a DEC alpha server running  OSF1 V4.0
When I try to run    perl Makefile.PL   I receive an error ....

	Missing $ on loop variable at Makefile.PL line 64

Line 64 reads

	foreach my $file (@files)  {

I have very little knowledge of perl and cannot see what is wrong with this
line.
We are running  perl 5.003 and I have edited the line 'require 5.004' as we
do not require the modules which require 5.005.

I have as a test tried to install on my SGI workstation and do not get the
above error.

Can you offer any advice ?

Thanks

Geoff Turner