[Bioperl-l] still problem with bioperl on UNIX

Prachi Shah prachi_shroff at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 08:49:26 EST 2003

Hello everyone!

Thank you very much for all suggestions and ideas
provided for my earlier postings and a sincere apology
to still continue asking on the same topic.
I am running Perl 5.6.0 and BioPerl 1.2.0 on UNIX.

I have this simple GenBank Query:

## GenBank Query code
use strict;
use Bio::DB::Query::GenBank;
my $query_string = 'Gallus gallus[Organism]';
my $query =
Bio::DB::Query::GenBank->new(-db=>'protein',
-query=>$query_string, -verbose=>1 );
my $count = $query->count;
print "COUNT is $count\n";
## END

which generates the following error:
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at
tryBioPerl.pl line 19.
COUNT is

The verbose tag generates:
request is
http://www.ncbi.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/esearch.fcgi?db=protein&datetype=mdat&usehistory=y&tool=bioperl&term=Gallus+gallus[Organism]&retmax=100

What intrigues me more is that when I try to use LWP
useragent as below to access the above link, it works
perfectly fine and it has no problems whatsoever.

## LWP useragent code begin
use strict;
use LWP::UserAgent;
use URI::URL;
use HTTP::Request::Common qw(POST);
my $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new();
my $req = POST
'http://www.ncbi.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/esearch.fcgi',
        [ db=>'protein',
         datetype=>'mdat',
         usehistory=>'y',
         tool=>'bioperl',
         term=>'Gallus gallus[Organism]',
         retmax=>100
        ];
my $content =
$ua->request($req,$Tempfile1)->as_string;
## END

Also, as some of you tested, the GenBank query script
works perfectly fine on LINUX and Windows.
I also reinstalled BioPerl to detect a faulty
installation.

Any ideas on whats happening?

thanks,
Prachi.