[Bioperl-l] Bio::Annotation::SimpleValue, keywords()

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:50:36 -0700

On Tuesday, September 24, 2002, at 09:11 AM, Ewan Birney wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>
>> Two ideas/proposals in one:
>>
>> 1) RichSeqI::keywords is currently implemented as keeping the string
>> as one, no splitting into individual keywords. In a database (yeah,
>> here's biosql) however, one would rather want to store them
>> separately I think. In a sense, keywords are an ontology. Also they
>> are annotation. I propose to stick keywords onto a sequence's
>> AnnotationCollection, using e.g. tag 'keyword' and class SimpleValue
>> (but see below).
>>
>> 2) Bio::Annotation::SimpleValue actually resembles an ontology term,
>> doesn't it? Well, not always probably (thinking descriptions and
>> alike). If SimpleValue is not an ontology term itself, then what
>> about adding Bio::Annotation::OntologyTerm, which would just adapt
>> Bio::AnnotationI to Bio::Ontology::TermI?
>>

> I like this idea - I would vape SimpleValue and claim that it
> should be an
> ontology term. Or perhaps it *could be* an ontology term. Hmmm. (values
> being numbers?)

The conclusion I reached last night was that you may have annotation
that is just a scalar but definitely not a controlled or standard
vocabulary term. So, I decided to leave SimpleValue untouched and
wrote up a Bio::Annotation::OntologyTerm that implements
Bio::AnnotationI and Bio::Ontology::TermI (the latter by
composition).

I stopped short of changing the swissprot parser to populate
Bio::Annotation::OntologyTerm instances with gene names because I
was too tired, and this morning I was outvoted to leave gene names
as qualvals in biosql instead of making them OT associations, hence
SimpleValue would work just fine ... How useful does it appear to
make this change in the swissprot parser?

	-hilmar