[Bioperl-l] Species validation

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:59:27 +0100 (BST)

At the moment as people have noticed we are blowing up on impossible to
decipher species. Of course, some of these really are impossible to
decipher, like the mouse/rat hybrid thing (though it slightly annoys me -
surely this thing *came* from either mouse or rat!)

What I suggest is that we test whether the classification strings make
sense - if they do, we make a standard species object. If not, we make a
specific "unknown species" object, classification "unknown", species
"unknown" but store the original strings somewhere.

Any other thoughts - throwing exceptions is not good in the middle of EMBL
parsing and just letting anything go in there is also not good...

What does genbank do for these entries?