[Bioperl-l] Re: issues with _rearrange

Aaron J Mackey Aaron J. Mackey" <amackey@virginia.edu
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 06:44:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Steve Chervitz wrote:

> Before deprecating _rearrange, I'd be interested to know how much the class
> function strategy improves performance, and how much not calling it at all
> further improves it.

I don't see why the class function call would be any cheaper than an
object function call - it's still a function call (granted, no @ISA
lookup, but as already discussed, this only happens once).  Having a
function in your own class doesn't make it inline'd or anything; the
stack still has to be managed, a new scope setup and teardown, etc - this
is what takes Perl a while to do.

Regardless, I will endeavor to perform the tests Steve has proposed, be
back soon.

-Aaron

--
 Aaron J Mackey