[Bioperl-l] GenBankParser comparison to bioperl parser

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:57:47 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Ian Korf wrote:

> I'll de-lurk for this.
>
> I, for one, think that a bio-util-perl project would be a good
> idea. Not everyone wants or needs the whole of bioperl.
> Sometimes, a small utility outside the framework is useful.
> Analogously, I use a full-featured text editor that counts
> letters, words, paragraphs etc, but I still find myself using wc
> from time to time.
>
> I think that if something is going to be part of bioperl, it
> ought to have the same consistent interface. But I like what
> John has done, both at the interface and implementation level.
> Is it possible to leave John's parser the way it is and offer a
> bioperl interface to it?

This was my view (putting this as a skeleton below bioperl), but I am wary
of this actually mainly because I am not that compontent at the perl
magic level and so I am worried about the hooks and about maintance...

A naive bioperl implementation ontop of John's stuff would require loading
the parser up with everything and then pulling into objects, which is
fine, and would work - probably faster than current bioperl but certain
this speed improvement should be achievable in the current bioperl parser
as they are doing the same thing - it is just that we have crappy code
probably down there. I will investigate.

A cleverer wrapper would expose just that little more of "registered tags"
of John's stuff and utilise the on-demand parsing call that John has
implemented.

I like the bioperl-util repository - "for professionals only" I think it
keeps diversity without freaking newbies out and we can trade code.

++ from me.