[Bioperl-l] GenBankParser comparison to bioperl parser

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:44:59 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Elia Stupka wrote:

> >    - diversity of implementations in main repository good for pros and
> > experts to look at everything, see what is going on
> >
> >    - diversity of implemetnations in main repository bad for newbies who
> > just get down right confused
>
> Would a newbie doc file as well as pointers in each parser to the other
> parser and explanation do the trick in this specific case?

Hmmm. I've looked at John's code - it is very nice and well layed out, but
it is a big ish code base (naturally) uses deepish perl magic straight off
the GenBank keys (which is a fine choice, but not to my taste, but I am
one of those trad I'm-really-a-C-programmer Perl programmers so YMMV).

I vote --- we congratulate John on a job well done, point it out - link to
it perhaps but actually do some deep thinking on our own parser first
before anything drastic.

Let me put it another way - I *will not* maintain this code down the 1.2
branch ;). Elia - if you are up to fielding all bugs and questions (or if
John is) then - more doable. My vote is still to keep it seperate...

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.