[Bioperl-l] SearchIO function to save raw blast output?

Wiepert, Mathieu Wiepert.Mathieu@mayo.edu
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:59:08 -0500

I want to have the option to save the blast output.  SaerchIO seems to have a handle on the Blast Results file, or whatever type of Search it is handling I presume.  is it fair to say that this might be a good place to have a method like

my $rc = $factory->retrieve_blast($rid);
$rc->save_output("searchio.out");

Or is this way off, and SearchIO doesn't actually always have a file or filehandle.

Is there a better name for a function like this?  Can I always count on

$self->file;

in SearchIO?  If so it is trivial to copy the output to a different file (I assume)

I implemented something that works in the simple case, with RemoteBlast output anyway.

-Mat

Mathieu Wiepert
Medical Information Resources
Mayo Foundation