[Bioperl-l] How to retrieve info about sequence-tagged-sites

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki@ebi.ac.uk
23 Oct 2002 22:17:20 +0100

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 20:19, Alice Lu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a long list of STS that I like to retrieve the primer information
> for each of them, I have their IDs, is there anyway to use Bioperl to
> retrieve this info automatically?

You can use Bio::DB::BioFetch/EMBL/GenBank to retrieve the sequences if
you need that.

What I think you are asking is: Can you design primers for a sequence?

The answer is that bioperl does not have primer design programs built in
but you can access external programs installed locally.
There is a primer3 wrapper Bio::Tools::Primer3 as well as
Bio::Factory::EMBOSS which can access the EMBOSS program primersearch.

The Pise server from Pasteur institute and bioperl modules accessing
programs in there are probably not for you since you work in a company.

Hope this helps,

	-Heikki