[Bioperl-l] New module: Bio::Tools::SubLoc

Cory Spencer cspencer@sfu.ca
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:46:04 -0700 (PDT)

I'd like to announce the release of a new module, Bio::Tools::SubLoc, and
solicit feedback from the community.

Bio::Tools::SubLoc implements the SubLoc protein subcellular localization
method outlined in the paper titled "Support Vector Machine Approach for
Protein Subcellular Localization Prediction" by Sujun Hua and Zhirong Sun
(2001. Bioinformatics 17:721-728).  The module is being distributed with
both prokaryotic and eukaryotic models, based on the training sets used in
the original paper.'  Prokaryotic models are able to classify protein
sequences as either cytoplasmic, periplasmic or extracellular.  Eukaryotic
models have additional mitochondrial and nuclear localizations.

Bio::Tools::SubLoc is based on the Algorithm::SVM module which can be
obtained from CPAN at:

  http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/C/CS/CSPENCER/

The Bio::Tools::SubLoc module can be obtained from our labs webpage at:

  http://www.pathogenomics.sfu.ca/brinkman/research.html

(Near the bottom of the page under the "Bioperl Modules" subheading.)
Should the module be suitable, I would be interested in having it included
in the core Bioperl distribution.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments regarding these modules.

--
Cory Spencer <cspencer@sfu.ca>         Phone: (604) 291-4206
Bioinformatics Application Developer   Fax: (604) 291-5583