[Bioperl-l] status of cvs.bioperl.org, doc.bioperl.org?

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:01:19 -0500

The cvs machine was found to be hung over the weekend. I finally got a
chance to visit the datacenter this afternoon with my trusty serial
console cable and found the system unable to even boot into single user
mode. Something nasty has happened to the system disk. Either hardware
failure or an OS crash is likely although perhaps we got hacked by
someone who decided to blow the OS disk away. Can't tell until I can
play with the disk again.

The Netra T1's are a pain to debug/fix, didn't come with a service
contract and use really expensive  hotswap 10K RPM scsi disks. They lack
cdrom drives so bootstrapping one often involves PXE netbooting or other
not-easy-to-setup tasks.

The box will be down until I can fix it or rebuild a replacement server.
I'm going to solicit opinions from the gurus of the OBF sysadmin cabal
(root-l@bioperl.org) before making the final call on what to do.

Plan A involves taking the disk out of the cvs box and (hopefully)
mounting it on another sun box and essentially seeing if some sort of
'fsck' like utility can repair the disk. If that works cvs will be
online early tomorrow morning.

Plan B involves tossing the existing CVS Netra T1 box into the "cold
spare" pile and bringing a new system online that runs Linux on top of a
standard 1U rackmount dual Pentium III system. Much easier to debug,
maintain, backup and fix.

Regardless of what path we take the system will likely be unavailable
for at least the next 1/2 day or so. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Regards,
Chris