[Bioperl-l] bioperl-run; size/complexity of bioperl for 1.2

Kris Boulez kris.boulez@algonomics.com
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:18:58 +0100

Quoting Ewan Birney (birney@ebi.ac.uk):

> On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>
> > If you can get c) to work with an affordable amount of pain on our
> > (maintainers') end, that'd be cool and my clear favorite.
> >

> Hmmm. I will have a go. The more I think about it, the more I like (b)
> (distribute the whole thing). As long as we don't recommend to people to
> tar -zxvf instead tar -zxf then they wont know realistically how much code
> they are pulling across.
>

> Any other views? BTW - Nat G. - I would be very interested in where the
> speed bumps are in the newbie learning process, as a seperate but related
> issue to this.
>

> (I don't think running a CPAN clone and/or running something inside CPAN
> is going to work nicely myself - perhaps it would. Any views on this?)

Although CPAN.pm is a great module, I must say that in my experience a
lot of people don't know it exists or are scared of it.

We should also make very clear to the people what the dependencies are
on other packages and make these packages available at our download
site. Also we should very clearly state in which order to install the
dependencies.

I personnaly perfer (c), keeps things cleaner.

Just my 0.02 euro,

Kris,
--
Kris Boulez 				Tel: +32-9-241.11.00